Friday, March 2, 2012

Tempeste

Every time a storm begins, I cringe.  My skin crawls and my heart leaps with each shattering boom and sky splintering streak of light.  The wind whips the roof's shingles and twirls the energy of my soul.  Where cold air meets warm air ......where low pressure becomes surrounded by high pressure......my mind's eye meets my heart's courage sending my spirit into a clatter through poor attempts of calmness while waiting for the storm to pass.  Artist and entrepreneur, Vivian Greene, is well-known for commenting once that life is not about waiting for the storm to pass.  It is about learning how to dance in the rain.  If all I had to do was deal with rain, then the dance would be easy.......I can handle a little two-step, but its the unexpected toe-touches mixed with fancy salsas which can trip me up and land me on my "posteriore". 

 Ms. Greene's comment only refers to storm and rain in single form.  How does one maintain composure if the storm and rain are reoccurring or never end?  How does one recover from the utter exhaustion and devastation of a storm or the beat down of a hard rain?  Communities can rebuild and regain their lively momentum through assistance from FEMA, the Red Cross, and CERT groups.  These groups are trained to help people recover some form of their previous lives and nourish their spiritual upheaval. When I have been hit by a devastating storm or continuous rain down, I reach out to someone who has an up close understanding of my circumstance or just has a sympathetic shoulder to rest upon.  Sometimes, I turn to my spouse while other times, it may be my parent.  God knows who I need the most, and He may send a dear friend or my guardian angel my direction just at the right time.

 Colliding pressure systems of life are not easy to contend by oneself. ...... Who likes to dance by oneself?  Awkward!  It is a great comfort knowing a safety net of love surrounds me, and it has been a humble experience learning to allow others to help me weather a storm.  Rose Kennedy questioned why people shouldn't feel free to delight in the remains of their lives after weathering a storm if the behavior comes natural to birds. Birds don't sing to themselves. They are communicating to one another.....that they are safe; giving their location; and quite possibly singing the joy and thanksgiving of survival. If I could hold a tune as well as a bird, I would sing a song of thanksgiving for saving my family and I from the most recent tornado storm which hit the heartland.  I also am grateful for the Irish prayer....."O Lord, be between us and harm; and protect us from the harm of the world." My saving grace is the willingness of my loved ones to hold my hand during each pressure system on my life's path. Since I can't hold a tune like a cardinal, then I pray as a faithful dove.

St. Raphael, pray for my healthy survival of each storm.
St. Jude, pray for hopeless devastation of my life.
St. Theresa, pray for my simple soul.
St. Florian, pray for the safety of all firefighters and emergency responders.

- little petunia

No comments:

Post a Comment