Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Santo Ephrem

Santo Ephrem is a well known saint in certain circles of the Christian faith, but he is not well known amongst most members of the Roman Catholic Church.  He is the patron saint for spiritual directors and spiritual leaders; so he has become my patron saint because I am now the Directress of the St. Francis de Sales group to which I belong.  St. Ephrem also happened to die on the day I was born (June 9th)......well of course about 1600 years before my birth.  He was born in Nisibis which was an ancient city and trade center under Roman control; and was situated along the road from Assyria to Syria in northern Mesopotamia.   This southeastern Turkish city is currently known as Nusaybin.
Historians do not know very many early details of St. Ephrem's life, but they have deduced from his records of writings that he was possibly born in a fourth century Christian family although some researchers believe that his father was a pagan.  His "Sunday school teacher" was St. James (bishop) of Nisibis, and
St. Ephrem was confirmed as a young adult.  He lived during a disturbing time of the Church.   Heresies were rampant.   The Church and Christians were under persecution.   As an ordained deacon of the Church, he distributed food and goods to the poor; and helped priests with liturgical duties and preaching the Gospel.  In addition, St. Ephrem wrote prayers which are still recited in the Eastern Catholic and Orthodox churches and wrote hymns which also still sung at mass.  The hymns were written to combat heretical teachings of the time.  He is also known for writing many manuscripts to aid the efforts of saving the TRUE FAITH of the Church.  How he lived his life with sacrifice and courage.......defending the faith; and his well known writings contributed to him receiving the title, Doctor of the Church, in 1920.


The Prayer of St. Ephrem the Syrian
(recited during lent in the Eastern Rite Church)

O Lord and Master of my life, keep from me the spirit of indifference and discouragement, lust of power and idle chatter.      [kneel/prostration]

Instead, grant to me, Your servant, the spirit of wholeness of being, humble-mindedness, patience, and love.     [kneel/prostration]

O Lord and King, grant me the grace to be aware of my sins and not to judge my brother; for You are blessed now and ever and forever. Amen.    [kneel/prostration]

 Meditating on the life of St. Ephrem.......focusing on the stress and tension of his days due to the persecution and circulating heresies......brings me to certain thoughts.......1) Did he think twice before he stood up to the heretics and persecutors with his writings and teachings....or was all that he did a natural response due to his faith and conviction?  2)  How did he handle the overwhelming moments when he may have felt despair wondering into his thoughts?  3) How can I apply his example to my role as a Directress?  4)  Could he keep his perceptions from influencing the TRUTH?

One thought that keeps convicting me after reading about St. Ephrem is...........TRUST in the TRUTH.   
  • Trust him and he will uphold you, follow a straight path and hope in him.   - Sirach 2
  • Those who trust in him will understand the truth, those who are faithful will live with him in love; for grace and mercy await his holy ones, and he intervenes on behalf of his chosen.      -Wisdom 3
  •  saying to Yahweh, 'My refuge, my fortress, my God in whom I trust!'   - Psalm 91
  • Let dawn bring news of your faithful love, for I place my trust in you; show me the road I must travel for you to relieve my heart.      - Psalm 143
  •  Trust wholeheartedly in Yahweh, put no faith in your own perception;....  - Proverbs 3

I need to remember every morning during early prayers that God is my refuge and my fortress.   He will save me from my faults so that He is exalted.....as long as my intentions are aligned with the TRUTH ......and I TRUST in His saving grace....
Then every evening, give thanks for being safely delivered from another day of living out my faith for times are gearing up for a big battle.  Life involves cycles.....We are past the 300 degree mark of our christian cycle.....a battle of faith is on its way.   Shining and waxing our armor won't be enough in the coming days......We need to be ready to put the armor to use.....It's going to get dented and marked up.....but first, we need to remember to put it on every morning..............Times are going to get tough..............just as the times were during the days of St. Ephrem.  Our swinging sword will be the skill which God leads us to use...........................
St. Ephrem's sword was his pen and paper.  My calling is teaching....Since my sword of words can induce wounds, I need to watch where I swing my sword.  I am still learning how to reign in my passion and only spew tough words when called.....not by my will....but His will.  


St. Ephrem, pray for my spiritual leadership.
St. Dominic, pray for my even temper and swing of my sword.
St. Pio, pray for my TRUST in the TRUTH.
St. Florian, pray for the safety of all fire fighters and emergency responders.
St. Benedict, pray for the healing of those with kidney disease.
St. Jude, pray for impossible cases.
St. Therese the little flower, pray for my humility.
St. Francis de Sales, pray for my patience and gentleness.
Thank you Lord for the blessings of this life.
Bless those who have chosen to love me.
May I bless those who have blessed me.  Amen.
- little petunia

No comments:

Post a Comment