Monday, October 31, 2011

La Montagnas

The waters gradually fell until the tenth month when, on the first day of the tenth month,
the mountain tops appeared.   
- Genesis 8
Many years ago, we took a family trip to Colorado to visit with some dear friends, and the image of the rising massive mountains in front of a beautiful setting sun while driving west out highway 70 is ingrained in my file of inspiring memories. It is an image of hope which I bring out when times get tough, and I need a reminder of God's power and peace. La montagnas are my New Jerusalem where God's purpose for my life becomes clear once more.  It doesn't matter which mountain range.  They all speak to my soul. 

The formation of mountain ranges involve mighty forces and enormous amounts of energy through the crashing of Earth's tectonic plates or sliding and uplifting of Earth's blocks along fault lines.  The power involved is unimaginable, but we get a glimpse at times when we feel the ground shake under our feet. To me this power represents only a fraction of God's power in our lives, and many days go by without us even acknowledging His presence. Boy, aren't we giving God honor when we feel the ground shake or experience any tragedy, loss, or other negative experience in our lives. Why can we not recognize his daily presence in our lives? What keeps us from praising His power? I suppose if I had a mountain in my backyard, then I would have an obvious reminder of God's constant influence in my life's tribulations, calm waters, and joyful moments......but unfortunately, I don't.  In the midst of my busy exhausting work and home life, I have had to make praising God's providential presence in my life a habit every morning.....slowly it has become an overwhelming endearing part of my heart....my soul. I am absolutely humbled by the power of His providential presence.
 
"I shall be with you," God said, "and this is the sign by which you will know that I was the one who sent you. After you have led the people out of Egypt, you will worship God on this mountain."   - Exodus 3..... During good times...when you reached the summit of your challenge....your mountain....which you had been struggling with the climb...., it is easy to worship God....but how about praising Him during the climb...or when you haven't left the valley of doldrums and blues?  
What are you supposed to do once you reach to the peak of your la montagna?  You should do several things. You should praise Him with your heart, soul, and mind for helping you reach the peak safe and sound. "Exalt Yahweh our God, bow down at his holy mountain; holy is Yahweh our God!" - Psalm 99 ....You should take the opportunity to rest with God. Quietly communicating your love and appreciation allowing Him to restore you. Jesus did this numerous times while he was preaching and teaching with his disciples.  You should also listen to God's Word for guidance in the direction down the mountain. Unfortunately, you are not meant to remain on the peak of la montagna. The peaks are times for exhilarating joy and praise, but that is not our sole purpose for our paths. It seems God's plans are worked out and delivered through our travels in the valleys....along the plateaus.....and up our ascents of the summits.

Now it happened in those days that he went onto the mountain to pray; and he spent the whole night in prayer to God. - Luke 6 ..........
To me, prayer is a necessity at all times along my travels of my path, but the most exhilarating time for prayer is at the peak of a mountain.....in peaceful communion with God. It refreshes and revives my soul, but since I don't have a mountain in my back yard and I haven't made it to a peak very often, I find myself pulling out my inspirational memory of the Rockies to meditate in my mind's eye.  It helps me catch my breath for next leg of the path.

We all have peaks and valleys during our life times. No two peaks or valleys are alike for each of us are unique in our being, purpose, and experiences. If you compare the world-wide mountain ranges, then you would find none of them are like....oh, how they were formed is very similar, but the beautiful end results are so unique....each landscape of magnificent inspiration. That's we are supposed to be to each other.....magnificent inspiration....helping each other climb out of our valleys to the the next plateau....to the next peak of a mountain.  

St. Raphael, guide me through my valleys to the peaks of la montagna.
St. Francis de Sales, pray for my honorable intentions in my state of life.
Blessed Teresa of Calcutta, pray for my family.
St. Florian, pray for the safety of all fire and emergency responders.
Many heart felt thanks to those inspirational friends in my life who encourage and support my climb up the summit of my la montagna.
- little petunia

No comments:

Post a Comment